Antibacterial and antifungal coatings
During the last decades, silver metal nanoparticles have spurred a lot of interest due to their biocidal properties. Among noble metals, Ag metal nanoparticles possess the most efficient biocidal properties with a very broad bactericidal and fungicidal activity spectrum. In this project we study the antibacterial and antifungal properties or Ag nanoparticles synthesized by sol-gel methods. The first approach is to acquire sufficient knowledge on surfactant free Ag nanoparticles to better understand the biocidal properties of the Ag nanoparticles synthesized using plants extracts. We are presently developing a cost effective method based on plant extracts utilization that should enable the development of antibacterial and more particularly antifungal coating. The aim is to apply such non-toxic biocidal coatings to applications like green housing using ecological materials and paints for hospital.
List of relevant publications:
- “Emerging Trends in Nanoparticle Synthesis Using Plant Extracts for Biomedical Applications“
- “Silver metal nanoparticles study for biomedical and green house applications“
- “Biocidal properties study of silver nanoparticles used for application in green housing“
- “New Methodology for the Antifungal Testing of Surfactant-Free Silver Metal Nanoparticles for Applications in Green Housing“
- “Silver Nanoparticles Study for Application in Green Housing“